“Enhancing Relationship Centered Communication Skills” is a facilitated learning program where participants from different clinical backgrounds will come together with skilled communication facilitators to build on existing skills. The foundational 1 day course addresses the objectives below. Learning occurs in small groups with ample opportunity to practice new skills in a comfortable setting while addressing common scenarios directed by learners. At the end of the course, learners will commit to 2 new skills to augment their current communication styles.
Objectives (Enhancing Relationship Centered Skills 1 Day Course):
- Understand the importance and value of effective communication
- Build rapport and relationships with others
- Acknowledge communication barriers, with special attention on the computer and time limitations
- Recognize another’s perspectives and concerns
- Negotiate an agenda for an encounter
- Ask questions using skilled open-ended inquiry
- Listen reflectively and respond with empathy
- Collaborate on a plan that others can follow
Advanced Offerings (Available to those who’ve completed the 1 day course):
- Advanced Micro Skills Boosters (These are short classes delving deeper into specific communication challenges such as anger, feedback, breaking bad news, conflict.)
- Book Club (Socialize with others interested in communication skill development to discuss books or articles related to communication skills.)
- Coaching (1:1 coaching by a skilled facilitator in your clinical setting)
Target Audience: UCSF Health Physicians and Advanced Health Providers (CRNA, PA, NP, Midwife)
CME will be offered for the 1 day foundational course.
- FAQs Enhancing Relationship Centered Communication Skills for Providers
- Enhancing Relationship Centered Communication Skills for Providers Training Flyer
To register for any offering, please contact Mandy McClain, UCSF Health Experience, at email@example.com or call 415-353-7963.